Short Stories, Irish literature, Classics, Modern Fiction, Contemporary Literary Fiction, The Japanese Novel, Post Colonial Asian Fiction, The Legacy of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and quality Historical Novels are Among my Interests








Friday, September 2, 2016

The Reading Life Review August 2016

          



Books I Read in August but did not Post On 

In August I posted on only two novels.  For my records I wanted to keep a journal of the books not posted upon.

I read five novels translated from German, I have written posts on each of them which I have scheduled for November, when I will be focusing on German literature.

1.  Rosshalde by Hermann Hesse
2.  The Glass Bead Game: Magistar Ludi by Hermann Hesse
3.  Royal Highness by Thomas Mann
4.  The Emigrants by W. G. Sebald
5.  A Small Circus by Hans Fallada 

I also read two superb books on poetry.  I hope to post on these in September.

1.  How to Read a Poem and Learn to Love Poetry by Edward Hirsch.
 2.  My Last Poets A Life in Poetry by Philip Levine


Short Stories

As of now I have 166 books of short stories on my E Reader.  Most I have been  given.... This includes at least 5000 stories.  I recently read a very interesting interview with Mavis Gallant in The Paris Review in which she tells us that short stories should not be read back to back.   Right now I am reading   through several collections, including a massive 1000 page jewel of stories by Mavis Gallant, a collection by David Constanine and one by Anne Beattie.

Blog Stats

Since inception the blog has had 4,182,433 page views 

The top countries were the Philippines, USA, RUSSIA, India, and Germany 

As normal, the most read posts were about short stories from the Philippines


   






No comments: